120 PEOPLE ATTENDED +TALK III. WILL YOU JOIN THE +CONVERSATION THIS THURSDAY?
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: MRS. CATHY MUSCO GARCIA-PRATS
Thursday, March 1, 2012
Roberts Elementary School
6000 Greenbriar Street, Houston 77030
FREE +PARENTING GUIDE CD TO ALL ATTENDEES!
“It all comes down to resilience.” We hear this from educators and even employers of recent college grads. To be productive, happy adults, kids need to learn to bounce back from life’s hard knocks — and to deal with life’s everyday mundaneness. To do this, we, as parents, need to get out of the way.
Join us as we explore the observation that our generation of parents can and should do a better job of raising resilient kids. Why do so many of us rush into the sandbox when a shovel is taken away, into the teacher if our child is teased once or twice, or into the principal’s office with a lawyer’s approach when our child has been caught making a mistake? Is this a reaction to the way we were raised? A byproduct of today’s hypercompetitive society? Both — or something else? How can we support each other as parents, schools, and a community so that we can raise kids ready to face the world as adults — with verve? Please bring your reflections and questions and join in a +Community discussion entitled: Bounce Back: The Importance of Raising Resilient Kids.
Our keynote speaker will be Mrs. Cathy Musco Garcia-Prats, mother of ten boys and author of several books, including Good Sons Don’t Just Happen, and with her husband Dr. Joseph Garcia-Prats, Good Families Don’t Just Happen. Both books will be available for sale (cash or check) at +Talk IV for $16.25 (includes tax).
Our distinguised panel will include:
• Dr. Adiaha Franklin, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine; Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics, Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics, Texas Children’s Hospital and +Parenting/+Teaching Guide contributor
• Mrs. Rita Graves, Principal, Roberts Elementary School, HISD
• Mr. John Morris, LMSW-ACP, LMFT, marriage and family therapist and +Parenting/+Teaching Guide contributor
• Mr. Daniel Echeverri, student at Rice University and participant in +Works’ Race to Nowhere +Panel discussion.
ADMISSION FREE to +Roundtable schools parents/staff:
• St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School
• Mark Twain Elementary School
• St. Paul’s School
• Pershing Middle School
• Durham Elementary School
• St. Michael Catholic School
• Kolter Elementary School
• Roberts Elementary School
• The Awty International School
All are welcome. ADMISSION $5 for other members of our community.
Come to this +Talk, the fourth in a series of five this school year, and find out why it is important that we ALL — Dads, Moms, teachers, coaches, principals, students — take time to get informed in order to get AHEAD of bullying and create +Upstanding Communities.
For more information, please contact: