Innovative, grass roots program offers fresh, upbeat approach to tackling tough issues like bullying — with courage
Free of charge with no time commitment
HOUSTON TX — AUGUST 18, 2016 — Houston-based, parent-driven, grass roots nonprofit +Works (pronounced Positive Works), today announced an extention of its successful +Works UNBOUND program, a unique, school +Community Courage Kit designed to expand a ground-breaking movement that has involved public, private and parochial schools in Houston and beyond since 2010 around the idea that community change on bullying and other tough issues begins at home and extends to schools and neighborhoods. +Works UNBOUND is free of charge, including shipping, while supplies last, through the 2016-17 school year, on a first-come, first-served basis.
It is easy to join the +Works UNBOUND program. Interested school parent leaders and their principals/heads of school should email a co-written letter to +Works (firstname.lastname@example.org) to share their interest in the program.
The +Works UNBOUND +Community Courage Kit includes:
• A 2016-17 +Kick-start implementation plan shares ideas for introducing +Works to a school community, how to create a +Student Coalition, and how to use +Works’ blogposts, ad campaign and +Books to spark new upbeat campus conversations on tough issues:
• Two large, attractive, heavy-vinyl banners (i.e., +Playground and +Cafeteria for elementary schools; +PlayWell and +Cafeteria for middle schools) with the opportunity to purchase additional banners if desired;
• Print-ready PDFs for additional +Works school campus signage (+Classroom, +Office, +Bathroom, +Locker Room, etc.);
• +School Community guides in English: http://positiveworks.uberflip.com/i/383605-school-community-guide-2014-works and in Spanish: http://positiveworks.uberflip.com/i/383554-comunidad-escolar-2014-works;
• +PlayWell program guide: http://positiveworks.uberflip.com/i/577111-playwell-2013-works
• Award-winning public service announcement campaign entitled Change comes one +Voice at a time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLJ8gYdXBGk&list=PLLa-ICaAhmyZ8y67m9EjU4-_BwXKOfjiU
• Award-winning mini-documentary, Raising +Children, Raising +Voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZP-vqXgS8g
• Four +FlipBooks via http://positiveworks.uberflip.com/h/: Everybody Rocks, Peopleboxes,The Special Glasses and the 2015 One +Voice Creative Awards Showbook;
• Our school-year blog, +SNAX (+Works in bite-sized pieces): https://blog.positivethinkingworks.org.
“With +Works’ UNBOUND program, any school in the United States can put our innovative approach to work to inspire parents, educators, coaches and students to speak up in a positive way about issues keeping them up at night — issues like bullying, mental health, hyper competitiveness, risky teen behaviors and the complications of advanced technology,” said Sarah Fisher, +Works Co-founder and CEO. “We are excited to extend this program in the hopes of sparking positive change from home to home plate to homeroom.”
For more information on +Works, please visit positivethinkingworks.org.
In May 2010, long-time friends, moms of two, and award-winning marketing professionals Sarah Fisher and Trish Morille converted their ongoing family frustrations around the bullying issue into positive action within their own homes and in the Houston community. What began as a unique, integrated family and school program laser-focused on student bullying has evolved into a ground-breaking, upbeat, creative, hands-on, “roundtable” approach that is sparking fresh conversations around the trending issues that keep adults — and kids — up at night and around “who” school communities and organizations want to be. +Works family, school, business and nonprofit organization members agree: if we want to raise vibrant, resilient, productive children, we have to get real, lock arms and work together from home to homeroom, from home plate to the boardroom. Fisher and Morille continue to spearhead the +Effort on a 100 percent pro bono basis — with joy.
Public, private and parochial schools who have joined the +Works program since 2010:
Annunciation Orthodox School, Houston, Texas
Durham Elementary School (HISD), Houston, Texas
Frostwood Elementary School (SBISD), Houston, Texas
Kolter Elementary School (HISD), Houston, Texas
Mark Twain Elementary School (HISD), Houston, Texas
Pershing Middle School (HISD), Houston, Texas
Roberts Elementary School (HISD), Houston, Texas
S.C. Red Elementary School (HISD), Houston, Texas
St. Laurence Catholic School, Sugar Land, Texas
St. Mark’s Episcopal School, Houston, Texas
St. Michael Catholic School, Houston, Texas
St. Paul’s School, Houston, Texas
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School, Houston, Texas
The Awty International School, Houston, Texas